The Gail E. Hawisher and Cynthia L. Selfe
Caring for the Future Scholarship
Applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria for the scholarship:
- be a full or part-time undergraduate or graduate student AND a first-time attendee at C&W (people with a degree intending to puruse an MA or PhD in the near future are also welcome to apply)
- come from a traditionally underrepresented group
- have current scholarly and/or pedagogical interests in some aspect of computers and writing
- attend the C&W Graduate Research Network to present an in-progress project
- attend the C&W Banquet Awards Ceremony to be recognized as the HSCF winner
- be sponsored by a mentor who also intends to attend C&W
Mentors need to have a terminal degree, work full-time in academia, and be able to introduce the student to the field of computers and writing. They do not have to be at the same institution as the student. Mentors should be able to attend the Computers & Writing conference to mentor their applicant. We suggest, at minimum, the mentor
- meet with the student prior to C&W to explain how the conference works,
- help the student prepare their GRN proposal,
- attend GRN with the student,
- introduce student to others at C&W sessions,
- have a debriefing session midway through the conference,
- join the student at the awards banquet, and
- encourage the student to publish C&W conference session reviews with Kairos.
If the mentor of the scholarship winner cannot attend the conference, please let us know and we'll arrange to have a colleague serve as conference mentor. A mentor can agree to mentor more than one student per year who applies for the HSCF scholarship.
Not eligible but still looking for some support?
Apply for a GRN Travel Grant. Awards are based solely on need. To qualify, applicants must be: 1) a student or non-tenure-track faculty member, and 2) accepted to present at the Graduate Research Network** and/or the Computers and Writing Conference.