Common Errors in English Usage: The Book
William, James Co. has published a book based on this site titled Common Errors in English Usage. It contains most of the contents of the Web version (as of the date of publication) plus more detailed discussion of many of the entries simply listed here under “More Errors.” Since the site will remain online for free use, why should you buy a copy?
- It’s more portable than the Web site.
- It has a new introduction.
- It contains amusing old engravings turned into illustrative cartoons.
- It’s arranged in straightforward alphabetical order with plenty of cross-references to make it easy to look things up.
- Supplementary category lists group together the titles of entries on various types of errors like commonly misheard words and expressions, foreign words, and redundancies.
- Depending on your printer, it may be cheaper ($15) than printing off the text version of the site from the Web would be.
- It makes an entertaining gift for somebody who could use a little unthreatening help, like a student setting off for college.
- Even though it lacks the newer entries on the Web site, you still have access to them here, as a supplement to the book.
Read more about the book on the William, James site.
Or you can order the book now directly from Franklin, Beedle. If you order direct from them, there are no extra charges for shipping or sales tax.
Or phone 1-800-FBA-BOOK (1-800-322-2665 for those who dislike dialing letters).
If you are a fan, you might consider asking your local bookstore or library to order the book.
Check out the cool calendar based on the book. It makes a great gift.
Back to errors.