Baroque Music Assignment #2
Due May 31
You are to choose a CD (or set of CDs) from the WSU Media Materials
Service (MMS) and write a brief comment on it. The initial titles given
below in English are to help you choose your selection, but in some
cases the titles in parentheses afterward are the titles as listed in
the WSU Library catalogue in foreign languages.
First, click on the CDM number of the recording your are interested from
the list below. This will connect you with its entry in Griffin, the WSU
library catalogue. Look under "STATUS" to see whether or not the disc is
checked out. If it says "ON SHELF," you're in luck; but if not, try
another disc. Remember that when you are in Griffin, you can always get
back to this page by clicking your "Back" button.
If you have a slow connection, you can also try using Griffin via
Telnet. Here are some instructions.
Second, To check out CD's from Washington State University Media
Materials Services, choose what you want below and then contact Extended
Degree Library Services at 1-800-435-5832 or email email@example.com. The CD's will be mailed to
you first class and must be returned within two weeks to avoid overdue
fines. You can check out up to three discs or disc sets (multiple discs
with the same CDM number together in a box); but please avoid checking
out a lot from this list during the same period of time that everyone
else will be working on it.
Then read the liner notes that come with the CD and listen to the music.
Your assignment is to describe one or two things that are described in
the notes and that you can hear in the music. You need not use technical
terms, and you must not copy the notes; just tell in your own words what
you think you hear that the notes of have described. If the notes don't
help you, try to describe some feature of the music that you can hear
without their help. Then add your own personal reaction to the music.
This assignment is to be 50-100 words long (longer if you wish).
Go to the "Baroque Music Assignment #2" table in the Speakeasy Café
to do this assignment.
386 Baroque Music for Trumpets (Wynton Marsalis playing Vivaldi,
Telemann, Pachelbel, Michael Haydn, Telemann, & Biber)
13 Trumpet Concertos (Stolzel, Telemann, Vivaldi, &
1065 The Virtuoso Trumpet (2 discs)
- CDM 305 Oboe
Concertos (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Biscogli)
- CDM 200
Vivaldi: Gloria & Bach: Magnificat
133 Pachelbel: Canon and gigue in D major, other works by Handel,
Vivaldi & Bach (Canon, violins (3), continuo, D major
1163 Baroque Trio Sonatas (Telemann, Vivaldi, Fasch, &
803 Songs of Love and War (by Caccini, Sances, Monteverdi,
Handel, Frescobaldi, and Hasse)
- CDM 811 Si
tu m'ami (Eighteenth-Century Italian Songs and Opera Arias, sung by
1072 18th Century English Theatre Music (Purcell, Handel)
1198 Brandenburg Concertos (Brandenburgische Konzerte)
182 Concertos for 3 and 4 Harpsichords
1088 Concertos for Violin and String Orchestra
442 Orchestra Suites (2 discs)
800 Organ Encores (Les bis pour orgue)
- CDM 50 Keyboard
music. Selections (played on organ by Ton Koopman)
- CDM 1650 Clavierübung Chorales and other Great Chorales
1278 Goldberg Variations (Goldberg-Variationen) (played on piano
by Glenn Gould)
686 Goldberg Variations (Goldberg-Variationen) (played on piano
& organ by Barbara Harbach, 2 discs)
1117 English Suites 1-3 (Englische Suiten, Nr. 1-3) (played on
1118 English Suites 4-6 (Englische Suiten, Nr. 4-6) (played on
1148 The Art of the Fugue (Instrumental music) (played on the
organ by Wolfgang Rübsam, 2 discs)
- CDM 403 The
Art of the Fugue, other works (Die Kunst der Fuge) (harpsichord, 2
116 Preludes and Fugues from The Well-Tempered Clavier
(Wohltemperierte Klavier) (played on piano by John Lewis)
- CDM 1555 Great pianists of the 20th century ; 25: Edwin Fischer. I : Well-tempered Clavier, book 1: nos. 4, 12, 14, 16, 20, 22, 23, 24 ; Well-tempered Clavier, book 2: nos. 4, 6, 9, 21, 22 ; Chromatic fantasy and fugue in D minor, BWV 903 ; Prelude in A minor, BWV 922 ; Fantasy and fugue in A minor, BWV 904 ; Concerto in D minor, BWV 1052 ; Concerto in A, BWV 1055 ; Concerto in F minor, BWV 1056 ; Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639 (arr. Busoni)
- CDM 1623 Great pianists of the 20th century: 93: Rosalyn Tureck. I: No. 1, B flat major -- No. 2, C minor -- No. 3, A minor -- No. 4, D minor -- No. 5, G major -- No. 6, E minor.
- CDM 1624 Great pianists of the 20th century ; 94: Rosalyn Tureck. II: "Goldberg" variations, BWV 988 (Klavierubung IV) -- French overture (Partita) in B minor, BWV 831 (from: Klavierubung II) -- Italian concerto in F, BWV 971 (from: Klavierubung II) -- Four duets (from: Klavierubung III)
Other Instrumental Works
197 Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin (Sonaten und Partiten,
violin, BWV 1001-1006) (3 discs)
- CDM 1493 Lute Music
101 Mass in B minor (Masses, BWV 232, B minor. Latin) (2
397 Christmas Oratorio, Parts 1 & 2 (Weihnachts-Oratorium
- CDM 398
Christmas Oratorio, Parts 3 & 4 (Weihnachts-Oratorium 3-4 Teil)
- CDM 399
Christmas Oratorio, Parts 5-6 (Weihnachts-Oratorium 5-6 Teil)
1124 Cantatas no. 51, Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen & no.
208, Hunt Cantata (Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen)
11 Cantatas No. 80, Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott (A Mighty
Fortress Is Our God) & No. 140, Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme
(Feste Burg ist unser Gott)
1108 Soprano Cantatas nos. 199, 202, & 209 (Cantatas,
28 Coffee Cantata and Peasant Cantata (Kaffee Kantate)
- CDM 1409 Complete Cantatas, vols. 1-6
- CDM 1651 Complete Cantatas, vol. 9
97 Motets (2 discs)
- CDM 553 St.
Matthew Passion (MattŠuspassion) (3 discs)
- CDM 393 St.
John Passion (Johannespassion) (2 discs)
375 Water Music
364 Water Music. Selections
- CDM 1657 Music for the royal fireworks; Concerto in F major, Concerto in D major, Passacaille, gigue and menuet from HWV 399, Occasional suite in D major
Elizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre:
- CDM 1644 I. Troisieme livre de sonates, op. 5. No. 6 ; No. 10 ; No. 3 ; No. 11 ; No. 4 -- II. Quatrieme livre de sonates, op. 9. No. 3 ; No. 2 ; No. 7 ; No. 6
347 Suite in A minor & Concerto in F major for bassoon and
recorder (Overtures, recorder, strings, continuo, TWV 55:a2, A minor
573 Recorder Sonatas from Der Getreue Music-Meister &
Essercizii Musici (Instrumental music. Selections)
556 Sonatas. Selections
65 The Four Seasons (Cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione. N.
52 L'estro armonico (violin concertos)
297 Bassoon Concertos (Concertos, bassoon, string orchestra.
296 Cello Concertos (Concertos, violincello, string orchestra.
496 Sonatas for violins and continuo (Sonatas, violins, continuo,
op. 2. Selections)
- CDM 959 Choral
200 Gloria & Bach: Magnificat (Gloria, RV 589, D major.
- CDM 1523 Gloria; Magnificat; Concerti RV 128, RV 563
If are interested in hearing other
CDs in the MMS collection--for instance, for your research paper--you
can get at them in the following way.
- Go to Griffin on the Web: http://griffin.wsu.edu/search/
- Click the "Author" button.
- Type the name of the composer you are interested in.
"Enter" (on a Macintosh, press "return").
- Click on the "Limit/Sort"
button in the upper right.
- Under "MATERIAL type" pull down the menu
so that it changes from "ANY" to "SOUND RECORD."
- Click on the big button at the bottom which reads "Limit/sort items
retrieved using above data."
- You will then get a list of the CDs containing music by your
composer. Many entries will be duplicates. You have to click on the
underlined titles to see the full entry on that disc and whether it is
checked out or not.
If you'd just like to browse the collection and
don't know in advance precisely what you're looking for, try this:
- Start, as above, at http://griffin.wsu.edu/search/
- Click on the button in the lower left-hand corner which reads
- Type in this: CDM
- Press "Enter" (or "return")
will get records for CDs numbered 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1001, 1002, etc. up
to 1008. Note that this is computer numbering, but since the CDM numbers
are essentially arbitrary anyway you won't be any worse off than someone
browsing the shelves in MMS.
- Click on number 1.
- Scroll down to
the bottom of the page and click on the button at the lower left which
says "Next Record."
- Repeat this procedure until you find something
Created by Paul Brians, June 6, 1998
Last updated October 12, 2000
Back to on-campus syllabus
Back to off-campus syllabus
Paul Brians' home page