English 357: Literary Editing and Publishing
Instructor: Bryan Fry
Office: Avery 371
Office Hours: MWF 12:00-1:00 p.m.

quick link to schedule

Course Syllabus

Course Overview:

This is a writing-based course that focuses on the practice of editing and publishing through group collaboration. The course will begin with a pitch assignment in which each student prepares a proposal that includes the name, logo, and publishing description for a literary journal. Once these proposals are complete, students will break into groups of five, deliver their pitches, select members for various editorial positions, and begin the process of finalizing the basic theme and design of their journal. For the duration of the semester, group members will work together to produce marketing materials, a web page, and all of the required technical documents (acceptance letters, rejection letters, etc.) that are necessary to run a real-life literary journal. Toward the end of the semester, each journal will complete a long report that discusses their editorial process as well as incorporates the final drafts of editorial materials. They will also create a presentation board that showcases some of these materials. Finally, each group will prepare their first issue for printed publication. We will unveil presentation boards and the first issue of your journal to the public in the spring.

Required Material:
  • Presentation Board (one per group)

Major Requirements:
Quizzes (20%): Periodically I will provide quizzes over the readings and homework tutorials. If you come to class prepared you should do well on these quizzes.
Pitch Proposal (10%): You will attempt to persuade your editorial group to customize a literary journal based your independent research, design, and thought. You will also create a handout (5 copies) to accompany your pitch. Length: 1-2 minutes
Group Presentation (10%): Groups will introduce their journals and present their marketing materials to the class. 
Project Report: (20%): Throughout the semester, each group will produce marketing materials, write various editorial documents, and design their own journal publication. In order to fully demonstrate this work, each group must hand in a long report that discusses their editorial process as well as incorporates the final drafts of all editorial materials. You will address this report to Washington States Arts Commission Project Supports Program in attempt to receive funding for the continuation of your publication.
Group Publication (20%):  Groups will unveil to the public the first issue of their journal publication. This unveiling will include the printed publication as well as a presentation board that showcases marketing materials and other technical documents.
Participation (20%):  Each week I will assign students a participation grade that reflects their professionalism and how involved they are in the class. 80% of the participation grade will be the average of these weekly grades. The other 20% will come from colleague evaluations.

Group Collaboration:

This class is unique because it requires group collaboration. You will have the chance to work as professionals and undertake real-life scenarios, many of which will help you prepare for situations that happen in most career-oriented fields. If you have trouble working in groups or do not feel comfortable working in groups, you should drop this course and enroll in a different class. I will not tolerate gripes, disputes, or any form of poor communication from individuals or groups as a whole. Poor communication can effect an entire class and individuals or groups who do not attempt to resolve issues in a professional manner will receive and F in the course.

Regular Attendance:

Because of the amount of group collaboration, attendance for this class is crucial. Students are allowed three unexcused absences without penalty. For each of the next three unexcused absences, I will deduct 5% of the final grade. After six absences, students will receive an F in the course. Every three tardies equals an absence.

Students with Disabilities:

Reasonable accommodations are available for students with a documented disability. If you have a disability and may need accommodations to fully participate in this class, please visit the Disability Resource Center (DRC). All accommodations MUST be approved through the DRC (Washington Building, Room 217). Please stop by or call 509-335-3417 to make an appointment with a disability specialist.