Process to set up a laptop at WSU if you have a network ID already:
WSU Pullman Campus
Windows XP or earlier:
Use the process listed on this page, which is for XP: http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/general/Wireless.html. There is also a good explanation here: http://www.wsu.edu/vpn/msVPN.html . According to these instructions, your computer will be registered automatically; if it is not, use step 2 below (from an off-campus location).
Note: You may want to do step 2 first, even before you get on campus, since it can't be done on the campus network from the computer you're setting up. In fact, the whole process is easier if you complete the steps before coming to campus with your laptop.
1. Go here: http://wiki.wsu.edu/ctowiki/Setting_up_a_VPN_dialer_for_Windows_Vista. Follow the setup instructions. (They are easier than the ones for XP.)
2. Register your machine on the network. http://www.wsu.edu/dhcp/ . Don't forget this step or else you won't be able to get on the Internet.
Note: There's a Catch-22 here: you need to do this from another machine or from off campus. If you are on-campus and haven't already registered your computer, you can't get to this site using the unregistered computer.
For this process, you'll need your MAC address (the address of your wireless card). Finding your MAC address in Vista:
Or, if the link isn't working, do this:
1. From the start button, type cmd in the Search box. You'll get a black DOS-looking screen.
2. Type ipconfig/all . You'll see a lot of information scroll past; you may need to scroll up to get the address. You want the one that looks like this:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection
Physical address: (this will be a series of two numbers in six pairs separated by dashes or colons, like this:
Type the requested information into the form, including your network ID. Click SUBMIT. Go to your e-mail inbox. Wait until you get a confirmation message.
3. When you boot up your computer again, allow time to connect to the WSUnexus connection. Click on the networking icon and click on connect to the WSU VPN connection.
WSU Spokane (Riverpoint)
1.. If this machine is to be used at WSU Riverpoint, you will first need to download the Clean Access Agent. You'll automatically be invited to download it via a pop-up window once you follow the instructions here: http://www.spokane.wsu.edu/campusresources/IT/content/WirelessDoc.pdf. These instructions are for XP, but they will tell you the settings for setting up the VPN for WSU-Riverpoint.
2. You will also have to do the following the first time you use it or you'll get an error message:
Go into Internet Explorer. Click on Tools->Internet Options -> Advanced.
Scroll down to Security.
Uncheck Check for server certificate revocation.
Close window and restart IE (or start Firefox, if that's what you use). Note: this process can't be done from Firefox.
user: ewu password: eagles