The WSU Tuba line is wrote with traditions going back as we know almost 30 years. Now we do the things that all tuba sections do like horn flashes and dancing, but that's not what this page is about these are some unique things that we as the Wazzu Tubas are known for. For instance, all real tubas know and attend tuba Christmas and we are no exception.
1. The Ms. Tuba Award - We have a whole section dedicated to it, so it must be important.
2. Santa Hats - Every year our last game of the season...generally...is against University of Washington, this battle is called the apple cup. While the band wears their normal uniforms the tubas are more festive and we dawn our Santa Hats. This tradition has been happening longer then anyone can remember.
3. Flies Down Show - Once a season we pick a game and march the half time show with our flies down, it's very cold and reminds us that we are cougars, unfortunately the new uniforms make it impossible to do this tradition so it is dying out last occurrence of the FDS was 2000.
4. Tuba Sunday Dinner - This occurs on game weekends, we get up the day after the game congregate at the *Lowbrass home, and cook dinner. We eat, watch movies, discuss what's happening with the band and such.
5. Tuba Tuesday - This is by far the best tradition we do. Other sections have tried but can't seem to copy Tuba Tuesday. Every Tuesday, the tubas gather at the Lowbrass home at 9:00pm, some bring homework, some bring games and we sit around, talking and playing video games. one of the other aspects of this event is the food, which sometimes gets hard to deal with, We order pizza and the freshmen have to decide amongst themselves on who pay for it(if you think I'm joking ask anyone in the section they all had to do it when they were freshmen).
6. T-shirt making party - Ok, pretty simple we get together Wednesday of **HellWeek and make T-shirts for the next day. This actually has gotten pretty fun, and popular with the rest of the band.
7. International Scooter Day - My personal Favorite. Held on Thursday of hellweek. This event has an in-depth back story that to really pass it on correctly you must ask a tuba, but what the tradition entails is, all the participants wear the scooter day shirt and go around and hit on people of the opposite sex. This is a great way to get the anti-social Tuba Section out and talking to other band members.
8. Tuba Power Pad Challenge - One of the first nights of hellweek, the tubas get done with practice and get introduced to the lowbrass home, the night consist of the Section Leader buying pizza, and the section returnees meeting and talking to the freshmen, at this time stories are told, traditions are explained and generally we get to know each other. But in the back ground looms the POWER PAD CHALLENGE, ok so it's not that impressive but whatever, we play Nintendo, not Game Cube, but old school Nintendo, powerpad.
9. R&R - I'm sorry this one is a secrete but if you are in an opposing schools band and you come to our stadium you'll find out..shhh
10. Tuba Ice Cream Social - Twice a year we get together on a non-game weekend and celebrate being a tuba by eating ice cream with close friends, each sousaphonist is allowed one guest for the first one, then the second we invite as many people as we can.
11. Tuba Wake Up - Game day, it's early Saturday morning, the sun is just coming up and its freezing in Pullman Washington, but wait it's Game Day!, which for the band means we have to be at the stadium for morning practice at 7:00, but since we are crazy, nuts, not right in the head we meet in the ***Tuba Layer, at 6:30 to talk about how early it is, how we are tired, we want to go home, we're hungry.
12. The Tunnel - We run out of the tunnel for pre-game, which is harder then it sounds with a 50lb piece of brass on your back, with some trumpet player next to you running with out a care in the world, anyway, back on task during the run on we yell slogans picked at random that the whole line will yell, like "death to the Mortals", or possibly we'll come out skipping, or run out as drill sergeants yelling at other people to run faster, anyways a lot happens there that isn't seen.
13. The Tail/parade marching - Parade marching for the tubas is the most exhausting thing ever! We aren't satisfies with just marching, and horn flashes aren't enough for us, we have to make formations, like a tree, square, or circle. Then we bust out the tail, it's a big follow the leader move where we form a long line and zig zag back and forth behind the band. We also circle, spin and with the help of a flutist nicknamed Pedro we penetrate the band. We shake hands of the crowd and do tuba waves. oh did I mention we also play music sometimes to.
14. Tuba Thanksgiving - a potluck dinner where we eat thanksgiving dinner, pretty obvious I guess but I'll still explain it. we play football and eat really good tuba made food.
15. Bowl Game Uniform - Well this is less of a tradition cause we don't go to that many bowl games but when we do we dress for it, we add to our uniform for the game something that represents the game. For Example, at the Sun bowl we all wore Sun Glasses.
*the Lowbrass home is a combination of the Tuba home and the Bone home.
**hell week is band camp
***The Tuba Layer is a hallway in the music department where the tubas are kept.