Procedures, Records, and Forms
Title 504 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) is the WAC chapter that contains the rules applying specifically to WSU. The University Rules Coordinator, located in the Office of Procedures, Records, and Forms, administers additions, amendments, and deletions to these rules.
ADDITIONS OR CHANGES
Review Existing WAC Title 504 Rules
The state Code Reviser publishes the Washington Administrative Code, including WAC Title 504. A University department considering adding or repealing sections of WAC Title 504 or changing an existing section should review the current rules on the proposed subject in WAC Title 504.
To view the rules, select the WAC 504 link from the Procedures, Records, and Forms WSU Policies, Procedures, and Regulations web site at:
Submit Rough Draft
The department seeking to add, repeal, or change sections of WAC Title 504 prepares a rough draft of the proposed rule and attaches an explanatory memorandum. The explanatory memorandum includes the following:
- A description of the subject of the rule.
- An explanation of the need for the rule.
- A citation to the statute the rule is designed to implement.
- Identification of other units or groups affected by the rule.
- A statement of whether and how the proposed rule may affect small businesses.
- If applicable, a statement of the environmental impact of, alternatives to, and justification for the proposed rule.
- The name and telephone number of the departmental contact.
- Signature of the administrator of the department requesting the rule, e.g., director, dean, executive officer.
The department sends the memorandum to:
Office of Procedures, Records, and Forms
PO Box 641225
Pullman, WA 99164-1225
NOTE: The department must submit a rough draft of proposed rule changes to the Rules Coordinator no later than seven months prior to the requested effective date. This lead time is necessary for completion of the University and state review process.
Any person may petition the University to request the adoption, amendment, or repeal of any WAC Title 504 rule. (RCW 34.05.330) The petition must include:
- Text or description of the proposed rule or change,
- Name, title, and number of the existing rule, if applicable, and
- If requesting repeal of a rule, a description of the effects of repeal.
(WAC 82-05-010 through -050)
Submit the petition to the Rules Coordinator. See above.
Rules Coordinator (Initial Review)
The Rules Coordinator reviews the proposal and may seek clarification from the proposer or legal review by the University's Attorney General division.
The Rules Coordinator:
- Reviews the rule proposal for consistency with existing WSU policies and rules.
- Prepares a draft using appropriate language and format.
- Consults with the Attorney General's Office.
- Provides involved University managers and administrators with an opportunity to review and comment on the proposed rule.
- Redrafts the rule proposal as necessary in response to suggestions from reviewers.
- Coordinates review by the University executive officers.
- Files appropriate forms with the state Code Reviser.
- Coordinates review and approval by the Board of Regents.
- Coordinates formal rule adoption in compliance with RCW 34.05. This formal process includes filing the rule with the state Code Reviser's Office, coordinating public hearings, assisting in preparation of the rulemaking file, collecting comments, and preparing responses.
The Rules Coordinator must complete the following formal process steps:
- Arrange for publication of the notice of the hearing in the campus newspaper or other standard newspaper at least seven days before the hearing.
- Mail copies of the rule to requesters.
- Record the hearing.
- Prepare a concise explanatory statement which includes reasons for adopting the rule, description of changes, summary of comments, and justification for the resolution to any comment issues.
- Notifies the University community of final rule adoption and publication.
In order to keep WAC Title 504 current, the Office of Procedures and Forms manages a periodic review process.
First Review Request
When a rule has not been revised within five years of adoption, Procedures and Forms sends an Existing Section Review Request and a copy of the rule to the responsible administrators.
The administrators determine whether or not the rule requires updating or repeal if no longer needed. If the rule requires updating or repeal, administrators indicate the items to be changed or repealed on the review request form or attached copy. Each administrator returns the signed review request and section to Procedures, Records, and Forms by the "Respond By" date. The Rules Coordinator then initiates the process for making the requested changes.
Second Review Request
If Procedures, Records, and Forms receives no reply within one month from the first respond date, the office sends copies of an Existing Section Review Request and the rule to the responsible administrators and the unit's executive administrator.