The Global Learning department of International Programs administers and coordinates faculty-led study abroad programs for the University.
International Agreements (IAs) are processed in accordance with procedures in 10.42. In addition to applicable procedures in that section, individuals and departments initiating faculty-led study abroad programs are responsible for applying the following procedures.
The Global Learning department within International Programs works with the appropriate department and college to develop and monitor all faculty-led study abroad programs. Working together, Global Learning and the faculty director implement and administer the program.
When developing a faculty-led program, contact Global Learning for assistance. Refer to the following website for more information:
Any faculty-led study abroad program involving a third-party provider and/or educational institution requires the completion of an IA. (See 10.42.) The Global Learning department of International Programs is responsible for agreement development for faculty-led study abroad programs and related third-party payments. These agreements define all aspects of for-credit WSU programs between a specific college or academic unit of WSU and a third-party provider and/or educational institution in the US and/or in foreign countries.
Agreements must address:
- Program description;
- Selection of participants;
- Duties of each party;
- Costs, billing, refund and payment procedures;
- Dates of service;
- Emergency preparedness; and
- Insurance and liability.
Procedures for faculty-led study abroad program development are outlined briefly below:
- Faculty develop a faculty-led study abroad program proposal and submit it to Global Learning. Preferably, the proposal should be submitted 12 to 18 months in advance of departure.
- Global Learning assists with developing a preliminary program budget addressing roles, responsibilities, personnel, itinerary, salaries, benefits, tuition, travel, housing, source of funds, third-party providers, and other required resources.
- Global Learning and the faculty-led director meet with the department chair, college dean, and area finance officer to obtain all necessary approvals for the program.
- The faculty-led director circulates the program proposal and draft budget for review and signatures and returns the documents to Global Learning. Following program approval, Global Learningd develops the faculty-led study abroad student application and marketing materials.
- With faculty assistance Global Learning develops the necessary IAs and final budget which is reviewed, approved, and signed by International Programs and the appropriate area financial officers. The IAs are then circulated for approval signatures.
In addition to required approvals for any international agreement (see 10.42), these agreements require approval in the following order:
- Director of Global Learning
- Associate Vice Provost of International Programs
- Finance and Administration