University departments and employees are to post signs, posters, handbills, flyers, banners, announcements, and similar materials in accordance with this policy. Employees and other individuals who are not acting on behalf of a WSU department are to comply with provisions of WAC 504-34-140.
This policy applies to all University employees and departments at all University campuses, stations, and centers.
Public Access Areas
Public access areas refer to University locations open to the public, including, but not limited to: general University classrooms, public restrooms, hallways, atriums, entries, instructional laboratories, stairwells, and exterior locations. Public access areas do not include residence building interiors and departmental spaces.
Departmental spaces include individual staff and faculty offices, departmental offices, research laboratories, workshops, athletic courts, warehouses, and storage locations.
Postings include signs, posters, handbills, flyers, banners, announcements, and similar items that are temporarily affixed to a University structure or location.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PUBLIC ACCESS AREAS
University departments may place postings regarding University-related business on installed bulletin boards in public access areas.
Postings in public access areas may not:
- Be placed on, taped, glued, stapled, or otherwise temporarily affixed to doors, walls, windows, furniture, or any interior surfaces;
- Be placed on, taped, glued, stapled, or otherwise temporarily affixed to trees;
- Be placed on, taped, glued, or otherwise temporarily affixed to building exteriors;
- Be placed on, taped, glued, or otherwise temporarily affixed to walkways, floors, sidewalks, signposts, lamp posts, benches, receptacles, or any constructed outdoor campus features; or
- Be placed on, taped, glued, placed under wiper blades, or otherwise temporarily affixed to vehicles while located on University-owned or -controlled grounds, with the exception of official University notices distributed with the approval of the campus department of parking services.
Neither paint, chalk, nor other marker may be used on any walkway, stairwell, sidewalk, floor, or on any portion of a building.
Banners, WSU Pullman
The overhead walkways that cross streets at the Pullman campus may be used by University departments to display banners that promote University events if users coordinate banner approval and installation with the CUB Marketing Services; telephone 335-6678. (WAC 504-34-140(1)(c))
Postings not in conformance with the above requirements may be removed by campus facilities personnel.
Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the following officials for indicated locations:
Vice President for Business and Finance or designee
WSU Spokane, WSU Tri-Cities, WSU Vancouver
Responsible chancellor or designee
Other WSU Stations and Centers
Responsible head administrator or designee
The responsible departmental administrator sets policy for postings within departmental spaces.