One WSU department may transfer equipment to another WSU department. A WSU department may sell equipment to another department if the original support funding does not preclude the sale.
A WSU department may also transfer surplus equipment to Surplus Stores (see 20.76).
NOTE: While WSU departments may transfer and sell equipment directly to other University departments, Surplus Stores is the only WSU department authorized to sell surplus University material to non-WSU entities and to dispose of University property (see 20.76).
Transfer Without Reimbursement
If a fund transfer is not involved, the department transferring the item issues an Inventory Control Report. The department is responsible for forwarding a copy of the Inventory Control Report to Property Inventory; mail code 1025. (See 20.50.)
If a department seeks reimbursement for an item it wishes to sell:
- The requisitioning department initiates an IRI. The appropriate coding is included in the Requisitioning Department block. See 70.05. "Equipment Transfer" is indicated under department in the Vendor Department block (see sample in the PDF version of 20.80).
- The selling department adds the original voucher number, original object code and the WSU inventory number to the IRI, plus the selling department's program, budget and project coding.
If the original funding is from a grant or contract, the selling department checks with Sponsored Programs Services in the Controller's Office before completing the transaction to ensure the funds generated by the sale can be transferred back to the seller's account. NOTE: The granting agency must approve the sale or transfer of any federally-owned equipment.
- The selling department routes the completed IRI to Accounts Payable for processing.
- If the item is recorded on the University inventory, the selling department issues an Inventory Control Report and sends it to the receiving department. See 20.50 for form instructions.
- When the signed copy is returned to the selling department, the selling department forwards a copy to Property Inventory; mail code 1025.