Washington State University

Revised 4-08
Property Inventory

Sale or Transfer of Surplus Equipment

PDF link


One WSU department may transfer equipment to another WSU department. A WSU department may sell equipment to another department if the original support funding does not preclude the sale.

A WSU department may also transfer surplus equipment to Surplus Stores (see 20.76).

NOTE: While WSU departments may transfer and sell equipment directly to other University departments, Surplus Stores is the only WSU department authorized to sell surplus University material to non-WSU entities and to dispose of University property (see 20.76).

Transfer Without Reimbursement

If a fund transfer is not involved, the department transferring the item issues an Inventory Control Report. The department is responsible for forwarding a copy of the Inventory Control Report to Property Inventory; mail code 1025. (See 20.50.)


If a department seeks reimbursement for an item it wishes to sell:

If the original funding is from a grant or contract, the selling department checks with Sponsored Programs Services in the Controller's Office before completing the transaction to ensure the funds generated by the sale can be transferred back to the seller's account. NOTE: The granting agency must approve the sale or transfer of any federally-owned equipment.