Washington State University

Revised 8-09
Public Safety

Access to University Facilities

PDF link


The University controls access to University facilities in order to promote and maintain the following:

University Facilities

University facilities are identified as all buildings and grounds owned or controlled by the University and the streets, sidewalks, malls, parking lots, and roadways within the boundaries of property owned or controlled by the University. (WAC 504-35-020)

Residence Halls

University administrators or designees, officers, agents, or employees are to have access to residence halls at all times while in the performance of assigned duties that include:

(WAC 504-24-025)


In an emergency, police, fire, and safety personnel may access any University location.


Restricted areas include locations where official University activities are carried out, e.g., offices, classrooms, laboratories, shops, workplaces, swimming pools, weight rooms, animal facilities, shooting ranges, and croplands.

Department Access

The department chair or equivalent administrator is responsible for controlling access to restricted departmental areas. The chair may develop access guidelines for specific departmental locations in order to minimize the possibility of exposure to safety and environmental hazards or disruption of official University business. NOTE: Access guidelines for all University locations must allow access to police, fire, and safety personnel in emergency situations.

Authorized Personnel

The following individuals may be authorized access to specified University facilities:



Official student activities include activities which are: associated with official University classes, associated with University research under the direction of a University staff or faculty member, or associated with student groups which are registered in accordance with WAC 504-28-010.


Visitors and Volunteers

NOTE: When not acting in their official capacities, staff, faculty, and students have only those rights of access accorded visitors and volunteers.

Hazardous Areas

Personnel accessing any hazardous area are to comply with safety requirements described in the University's Safety Policies and Procedures Manual, including all requirements regarding the use of personal protective equipment.

Visitors to hazardous areas are to be directly supervised by authorized faculty or staff.

Mechanical/Service Areas

Only authorized personnel may access University mechanical/service areas. Authorized personnel include staff from University service departments; i.e., Facilities Services, Operations; Facilities Services, Capital; Environmental Health and Safety; Public Safety; Information Technology Services; Academic Media Services. Non-University service personnel and contractors may access such areas when authorized by the applicable University service department.

Mechanical/service areas include mechanical rooms, custodial rooms, pipe chases, steam tunnels, and rooms containing electrical, telephone, or computer control panels.


Certain University locations are considered public locations which are open to orderly unsupervised access by faculty, staff, students, and visitors during the locations' building hours. Such locations include the following:

The University reserves the right to change or restrict the business hours for any location without advance notice for safety or security considerations.

Building Hours

Current campus building hours:




Telephone WSU Spokane Facilities; 509-358-7994.

Minor Visitors

In order to access public areas, children under 14 years of age must:


Refer to 50.24 for after-hours access procedures.


The department chair or equivalent administrator is responsible for administering the University's access policy in locations under his or her control.

A breach of policy by a WSU student, staff or faculty member may subject the individual to standard applicable disciplinary procedures.

A breach of policy by a non-University visitor may subject the individual to arrest under provisions of criminal trespass or other applicable laws.