Central Receiving and Delivery
Private freight companies deliver most incoming University freight for Pullman campus departments to Central Receiving and Delivery. Central Receiving and Delivery is located on Dairy Road, which is accessed from Grimes Way.
CENTRAL RECEIVING AND DELIVERY PROCEDURES
Central Receiving and Delivery personnel match the package against outstanding Receiving Reports using the purchase order number on the package label. Central Receiving and Delivery processes the parcel and order as described in 70.14.
Parcels Not Matched to Receiving Reports
Central Receiving and Delivery receives many parcels which cannot be matched to outstanding Receiving Reports. Such parcels may include:
- Unsolicited catalogs.
- New releases of software provided as automatic updates by software companies.
- Sample textbooks, films, cassettes.
- Parcels without purchase order numbers on labels.
- Items purchased on blanket orders and contracts.
- Items purchased on purchasing cards.
Determining Correct Location
In such cases, Central Receiving and Delivery attempts to determine the correct destination by noting a name or department on the label.
Destination Can Be Determined
Central Receiving and Delivery delivers the item to the indicated location.
A representative from the recipient department signs Central Receiving and Delivery's delivery manifest. Upon signing the manifest, the department becomes responsible for the merchandise in the parcel. This responsibility includes:
- Routing the item to the correct individual within the department.
- Following procedures in 70.14 if the parcel includes purchased merchandise.
- Paying fees or costs associated with the parcel.
- Routing the parcel back to Central Receiving and Delivery if it does not belong to the department.
Destination Cannot Be Determined
If a campus destination cannot be determined, Central Receiving and Delivery returns the parcel to the off-campus sender.
Mailing Services receives all incoming U.S. parcel post shipments.
Mailing Services forwards insured parcel post packages to Central Receiving and Delivery. (Mailing Services assumes that insured parcels are purchased merchandise which must be matched with Receiving Reports.)
Mailing Services sends uninsured parcels directly to the designated individual or department. Department personnel are to follow procedures outlined in 70.14 for "Merchandise Received Directly by Departments," if the department receives a parcel from Mailing Services for purchased merchandise.
Central Receiving and Delivery pays the merchandise, freight, and COD (collect on delivery) service fees for all COD parcels which arrive on their dock. Central Receiving and Delivery charges the budget of the administrative unit that ordered the goods. NOTE: COD orders are exceptions to standard policy and are to be used only in exceptional circumstances.
Instruct the vendor that Central Receiving and Delivery must receive the following information to process a COD order:
- A mailing label including:
Purchase order number, and
Contact name of the individual or department requesting the parcel.
- An itemized invoice specifying the cost of the merchandise and he cost of the freight attached on the outside of the package.
Omission of any one of these items will result in a delivery delay.