Washington State University

Revised 03-15
Travel Services


PDF link


Reimbursable transportation expenses include all necessary official travel on railroads, airlines, ships, buses, private automobiles, and other usual means of conveyance. (SAAM 10.50.10)

Residence and Official Station

Transportation costs between home and official station are a personal obligation of the employee. If a traveler's official residence is not located within the limits of his/her official station, travel expense reimbursement is allowed from official station or official residence, whichever is less. See 95.01 for definitions of official station and official residence.


When transportation on a scheduled airline is available, tourist-class air fare is the maximum amount that is reimbursed regardless of the mode of transportation actually used.

A traveler may elect to use a slower means of transportation instead of an available scheduled airline. In such a case, reimbursement for additional food and lodging expenses is not allowed. The difference in travel time between that spent on tourist air travel and the slower mode of transportation must be accounted for by leave status, e.g., annual leave.


Exceptions to this maximum allowance may be permitted under the following circumstances:

The responsible department chair, unit head, principal investigator, or project director must endorse a statement on a Travel Authority describing the extenuating circumstances that justify the exception. If the traveler is an administrator, his or her supervisor must endorse the statement. In the absence of a specific statement, travel by air coach or tourist class is presumed and authorized.

Route the exception Travel Authority to the Executive Director for Business Services/Controller prior to the trip.


Common carriers should be used in preference to other means of transportation. Scheduled airlines usually offer the greatest convenience at the least cost in terms of dollars and time.

Travelers are encouraged to utilize reduced-fare schedules or excursion rates whenever possible. Travelers should be aware that many carriers assess substantial penalty charges for cancellation of reduced-fare packages.


See 95.01 and 95.05.

Paying Common Carrier Fares

The following procurement methods are considered acceptable for obtaining common carrier tickets.

Reimbursement Procedure

The traveler claims transportation expenses on a Travel Expense Voucher when the state travel charge card or personal resources are used. See 95.20 for Travel Expense Voucher instructions.

Regardless of the method used to pay for the common carrier expenses, the traveler must submit proof of payment of a common carrier ticket with the completed and approved Travel Expense Voucher in order to claim reimbursement for the expenses. Receipts are required and must be attached to the Travel Expense Voucher.

Unofficial Travel

Expenditures for unofficial travel that constitutes an incidental portion of an official trip may be included in the total travel package purchased with a CTA. The traveler is responsible for reimbursing the University for unofficial travel. NOTE: When applicable, the traveler uses approved leave for the personal portion of the trip. See 95.17.

Authorized Changes

If there is an authorized change in itinerary, the employee may pay the added cost and claim reimbursement on a Travel Expense Voucher.


If the traveler does not use all or part of a ticket purchased with a CTA the traveler reports the fact to his or her department and provides documentation (e.g., tickets). The department works with the issuing bank (CTA or travel card), the airline, or travel agency to obtain refunds for CTA ticket purchases.

If the carrier makes a refund directly to the traveler, the refund must be taken to the Cashier's Window in the Controller's Office immediately after the traveler returns.


Motor Pool Vehicles

The WSU Motor Pool provides motor pool vehicles for official University business. Details are available in 95.35. The rate schedule for WSU Pullman motor pool is available at:


For non-Pullman locations, contact the campus motor vehicles department.

Privately-Owned Vehicles

See 95.11.

Rental Cars

See 95.12.

Nonscheduled Aircraft

See 95.30.

Local Transportation

See 95.08 for details regarding taxi, city bus, streetcar, monorail, subway, airport limousine, etc.