Washington State University

Revised 2-11
Travel Services

Student Travel

PDF link


University faculty and staff who require and/or oversee official travel by students are responsible for observing the following procedure.


These procedures apply to official student travel which is undertaken for purposes of:


University and state of Washington regulations apply to student travel. See other sections in this chapter (95) for more information about travel.


University student travel may be supported by a departmental account, a special course fee account (see 30.95), or the student's personal funds.

First Aid Training

Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) recommends that at least one individual who possesses current first aid training certification accompany students traveling in groups, e.g., field trips. See SPPM S20.32 for information about first aid training.

Statement of Expectations

The responsible faculty or staff member or advisor must prepare a written statement of what is to occur.

More Information

See SPPM Chapter S35 for more information about University motor vehicle risk management and liability policies.


The faculty/staff member distributes the written statement to students prior to travel. This information may be included in a course syllabus or other document.

Travel Arrangements

The responsible faculty or staff member specifies the travel arrangements. Travel for purposes of class field trips or University group activities must be organized by the responsible faculty/staff member. Travel may be by motor vehicle or common carrier. See also 95.04, 95.07, and 95.11.

Travel Authority

Complete and route a Travel Authority prior to the travel when:

The responsible department chair, unit head, principal investigator, or project director signs the Travel Authority.

See 95.05 for complete Travel Authority instructions.

Travel Advances

See 95.05.

Travel by Common Carrier

Travel Services strongly encourages departments to use Central Travel Accounts (CTAs) to purchase air and rail tickets. See 95.04 for information about CTAs. See 95.07 for general information about transportation.

Motor Vehicle Travel

See SPPM S35.10 for requirements for passengers and drivers.

State Vehicles

Motor Pool or departmental vehicles may be used. See 95.35 for Motor Pool procedures.

Private Vehicles

See 95.11 for private vehicle procedures.

Student Drivers

The responsible faculty/staff member considers driving skills and reputation when selecting student drivers.

The responsible faculty/staff member, acting as the University's representative, requests that each student verify that:


When feasible, the faculty/staff member organizes the vehicles in a caravan and ensures that all participating drivers follow good driving practices.


After the travel, the student submits a Travel Expense Voucher through his or her department to obtain reimbursement for incurred travel expenses. See the sample in the PDF version of 95.20.