About Stevens Hall
Stevens Hall, planned by the architectural firm of Stephens and Josephans, was built in 1895 to house women students. It was named in honor of Territorial Governor Isaac Stevens. The building has been utilized consistently as a women's dormitory since it was first occupied. Other campus activities have been temporarily accomodated there as well. For instance, the Music Department was housed in the basement and the Home Economics Department and Women's Physical Education activities were held in the playroom during the 1890's. Following the burning of Ferry Hall in 1897, men were housed temporarily on one floor of Stevens Hall. State conventions have often met in the drawing room, and distinguished guests have visited there, including Helen Keller and her teacher, Miss Sullivan. It has been a frequent tradition for daughters to succeed mothers as residents of Stevens Hall, one of the oldest buildings on the Washington State University campus.