Washington State University

Revised 8-16
Payroll Services

University Name and Address File

PDF link


The University Name and Address File (UNAF) is a comprehensive computer file which includes address data about University personnel and associates, e.g., faculty, students, staff, parents, and alumni.

Address and Telephone Maintenance Service (myWSU Portal)

Individuals use the Address and Telephone Maintenance Service in the online myWSU portal system to update address, telephone number, and/or restriction data in the University Name and Address File.

An individual must have a Network ID to access the online myWSU portal. See 85.37.

University Name and Address File Availability

WSU units with a WSU business-related need to access the data may use the address view screens provided in several Administrative Information System (AIS) applications, e.g., DEPPS, BRS, OARS, and in the online PERMS (Personnel/Position/Payroll Electronic Routing Management System) and TEMPS (Temporary Employment System).

Other Address Files

Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable maintains a separate computer address file for vendors and customers, but uses the University Name and Address File to provide addresses to mail payments to employees and students.

Mailing Services

Mailing Services maintains a separate computer address file prepared by the Provost's Office, which is used to mail information to WSU administrative units.

Graduate School

Graduate School maintains a separate computer address file for Graduate School correspondence with graduate students. Departments and other administrative offices may have access to the Graduate School address file for routing information if no address for a student is available in the UNAF.


Authorized departmental users may add employee names and addresses to the UNAF file through PERMS and/or TEMPS.

The Office of the Registrar, Admissions, the Center for Distance and Professional Education, the Library, Cougar Club, and WSU Foundation--Finance and Gift Accounting also add student and alumni names and addresses to the file.



Payroll Services manages the University Name and Address File for current and former employees and for WSU students.

Employees or students may update addresses and/or telephone numbers through myWSU or by completing an address change form at the Payroll Services window, French Administration 236.


The WSU Foundation (WSUF)--Gift Accounting and Advancement Records office uses AIS and the UNAF to create and/or review records for alumni and friends. WSUF Gift Accounting and Advancement Records is located in the Town Centre, 255 E. Main Street, Suite 201, in downtown Pullman; telephone 509-335-1686.

Name Changes

Payroll Services processes name changes for employees and students.

See 90.75 for coding conventions and required documentation to support a name change.

Changing or Restricting An Address or Telephone Number

Faculty, staff, and students change addresses, telephone numbers, and/or add restrictions through the online myWSU portal system.

Changing an Address or Telephone Number

To change an address or telephone number go to:


Restricting an Address and Telephone Number

Restricting an address and telephone number instructs the campus operator to refuse to release an individual's address or telephone number.

To restrict an address or telephone number, go to:


Student or Student Employee Address Restriction

A student or student employee address restriction results in the withholding of the student's name, address, and telephone number from University Directories, WSU telephone directory assistance, and any WSU press releases (including the President's Honor Roll).

In addition, dates of attendance, degrees earned, awards received, weight and height of athletic team members, participation in officially recognized sports, and last school attended are not released outside the University without the student's written consent.

The directory restriction remains in effect after a student no longer attends the University unless rescinded. The student may rescind the restriction by using the myWSU portal or by submitting a written request to the Office of the Registrar.

A student using this protection is advised that financial aid providers and other interested agencies will not be able to confirm his or her status as a student by telephone. For more information on directory restrictions, contact the Office of the Registrar, French Administration 346, or select the Rights and Privacy link on the Office of the Registrar's website at:



Residence Halls and University Housing

Housing Services updates the University Name and Address File for students living in residence halls and University housing.

Upon leaving WSU housing, students must update their own address changes through the online myWSU portal.

WSU Retiree Addresses

A retiree may submit an address change by telephone or e-mail to Payroll Services; telephone 509-335-9575; e-mail payroll@wsu.edu.

Include full name and the last four digits of the social security number with the address change request.

Effective Date

Employee address changes must be completed at least five working days prior to a pay date in order for the paycheck to be sent to the new address.